Maria Del Carmen Gonzalez-Lara, Program Director
Community Action’s Napa Tobacco Education and Quit Smoking Program has an important mission to educate the public about tobacco issues. We strive to reduce community secondhand smoke exposure with emphasis on public areas that include parks and apartments. One of our major goals is to encourage smoke-free, healthy environments that support community wellness. Our Quit Smoking Program is cost free and available to all Napa County residents.
Important Tobacco Facts You Should Know:
- Smoking is the most preventable cause of disease and death in the US and in WORLD HISTORY 16% of Napa adults smoke (12% = State average) 6.5% of Napa youth smoke (4.8% = State average)
- Nearly 1/3 of ALL cancer deaths are directly linked to smoking
- Cigarette smoke contains 7,000 chemicals and hundreds are toxic and carcinogenic
- More people die of tobacco related illnesses than deaths from homicides, auto accidents, alcohol and drug related illnesses COMBINED
- The California Disease Control and the California Tobacco Control do not recognize e-cigarettes as a quit smoking method. On the contrary, current research is resulting in directly related health consequences.
There is absolutely NO safe exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Third-hand smoke refers to the toxic particles that are present on a smoker’s clothing or on furniture or carpets. Smokers who hug their children or partner after smoking can expose them to third-hand smoke
We Quit Together
Quit Smoking Program:
Our Quit Smoking Program is licensed by the National American Lung Association (ALA) and all class facilitators are ALA certified to teach the Freedom From Smoking curriculum, which is the Gold Standard of quitting services. Freedom from Smoking is a structured, evidence based step by step approach to quitting by using a variety of techniques. Participants quit together and work toward quitting after several sessions. Studies show that graduates are six times more likely to stay smoke free than those who quit on their own. We offer instructions on Nicotine Replacement Therapy and help with insurance coverage. Classes are cost free. The benefits of quitting are immediate. Within 8 hours the blood oxygen level can increase to normal. Within 24 hours the chance of a heart attack greatly decreases. Call us at 253-6100 ext. 132 for a class schedule.
Want us to call you? Send an email to Maria Carmen Gonzalez-Lara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Health and Wellness – Secondhand Smoke Reduction:
The Tobacco Education Program is working with each jurisdiction in Napa County to eliminate smoking in public parks and recreation areas through policy adoption. The following jurisdictions have smoke free park & recreation area policies: The City of Napa, the City of St. Helena and Napa County Regional Open Space Park District. The program will also work with American Canyon, Yountville and Calistoga.
Tobacco Education also has a State competitive grant award to increase voluntary smoke free apartment policies in apartments in partnership with Clinic Olé’s neighborhood wellness programs.Program Director: Maria Carmen Gonzalez-Lara 707-253-6100 ext. 120 email@example.com Bilingual Health Educator: Martha Thomasser 707-253-6100 ext. 121 firstname.lastname@example.org Quit Smoking Program Manager: TBA 707-253-6100 ext. 132